Are you looking for a way to maximize your workouts to specifically target fat-loss? If so, you’ll want to exercise first thing in the morning, soon after waking up, prior to eating any food. When you exercise in the fasted state, your body has to rely on its fat stores for energy, rather than glucose that is readily available after consuming a meal or snack. The body preferentially utilizes glucose for energy, as it is easily and quickly metabolized. If you eat breakfast, then your body has to first burn through the calories you just consumed prior to breaking down the fat stores in your body to use as energy.
Here are some simple ways to incorporate a quick burn first thing in the morning:
- Do 10-20 minutes of cardio intervals (treadmill, elliptical, bike… etc.)
- Go for a 20-30 minute run, or a brisk walk to get your heart rate elevated
- Perform a superset of: push-ups x 10, sit-ups x 25-50 reps, body-weight squats x 25. Repeat sequence 3-5 times
- Do 10-20 minutes of calisthenics: walking lunges, burpees, pull-ups, jumping-jacks, push-ups, mountain climbers, bicycle sit-ups, tri-cep dips. Mix up several exercises, doing 5+ reps of each, taking 30 seconds of active rest (running in place) if necessary.
- Perform a 10-20 minute Jump-rope and core workout: Skip rope for 1 minute, push-ups x 10, Skip rope x 1 minute, plank x 30-60 seconds. Repeat sequence 2-5 times.
Most, if not all, of these exercises can be done at home. So you don’t need a gym membership to tighten up and give your metabolism a boost first thing in the morning. Aim for 4-5 days/week to maximize your results. This is especially helpful for those who are taking testosterone supplements due to a deficiency. Exercising regularly will give your body a metabolic boost to support testosterone function and increase energy levels.